Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Make-up Tools Holder

Make-up Tools Holder

The make-up industry keeps coming up with different brushes and tools to apply make-up.  If you’ve acquired as many tools as I have to put on make-up, you know how annoying it can be to pull out just the right one in a jumbled bag.  My exasperation became my inspiration for a roll-up holder for brushes, pencils, and lipstick.  My design travels well and washes easily.  I never leave a tool behind anymore.


Materials:



 2 pieces of cotton fabric – 10 x 17 inches – they can be the same color or complementary
  • thread
  • Elastic hair band
  • scissors


Sew the fabric, right sides together and leave one small opening to turn the fabric right side out.  Clip the corners, and turn right-side out. (I opted to embroider my initials on the outside fabric.  I did this before stitching the front and back together.)






Baste the opening closed and press the rectangle, making sure the sides and corners are pulled out.  Topstitch around the rectangle if desired.

Fold up the bottom end, wrong sides together, to make a 4 inch pocket.

Stitch along the sides through all fabrics.






This is where you have to decide on your own how wide to make each section based on the tools you have in your make-up bag.  Two of my sections are 2 inches wide.  Two others are just under an inch, and the last two are each about 1 ½ inches wide.  Mark the stitching lines and sewing from the top of the pocket to the bottom fold.






To use, place your brushes and tools in the sections, fold the top section down to cover your tools, and roll it up.  An elastic hair band, the kind that are usually wrapped, make a great closure.












No comments:

Post a Comment